Monday, March 5, 2018

Purify us, Lord!




Purify us, Lord!   Mission update!

Purify us, Lord!

          Lord Jesus, I believe in you: that you came to teach us, suffer for us and show us the way home to heaven. I trust in your utter goodness and mercy and am confident that you are leading me always. I love you and wish to make you known to many others, so they can be filled with the peace and joy that only you can give. Here I am now, ready and longing to encounter you.




          The past two weeks it seems as my children and I have been walking in a very dry desert. Yes it is true that Peru’s climate is hot. But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a spiritual dryness.  A spiritual dryness among the people here whom we live among.  As we are settling into a routine of sorts here in our pueblo of Shimbillo we are struggling to understand how it is that these wonderful people have been forgotten. And how the desperate need of the presence of the Catholic Church is needed here. This past Sunday the second reading pierced  my heart. 1 Corinthians 1:22-25  “Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.



      I have caught myself in these last few weeks being much as the Jews ands the Greeks .
      As I am always seeking signs as the Jews asked for. And seeking wisdom and understanding at all times as the Greeks did.

      You see my families Sunday routine consist of walking to three different celebrations in  the nearby towns.  Rain or shine we walked up to 20 minutes one way to the pueblos  All because Christ’s love compels us to make him known among his wonderful people here. However this last weekend after a soaking walk we arrive drenched despite wearing rain jackets to find that there was absolutely no one gathered to celebrate the word of God. This perhaps was an occasion that was so baffling to me. We waited 45 minutes for the people of the pueblo to come to the celebration. Finally we at least had the town animador which is in charge of leading the celebration and one other faithful lady. Instead of being grateful for the wonderful celebration we had together, I found myself with a confused and cluttered heart of a Jew asking why God has not helped these people. Asking for God to perform a miracle among them so perhaps they would know of his mighty works and want to hear the word of the Lord. Much as the greeks I found myself begging for answers to all of my questions and begging Christ to give me the knowledge and wisdom to help these people, which in my eyes on that day seemed to be far from God. However I  fell to my knees begging God to have mercy on me for my heart seems to have turned to stone. After all in the book of Matthew chapter 18 it says “For where two or three are gathered in my name, their am I among them. Perhaps it is that I have over looked the works of our God and the knowledge he has provided. Fast forward to our 7pm celebration that same night,  although we had dried out from our morning celebrations, I was caught off guard again  and was acting upon my human nature when I was told that our very own towns animador failed to tell me that she was not going to be able to lead the celebration in our home pueblo. I immediately panicked and almost failed to seize the opportunity that God had presented to us. After a quick prayer I realized that God had created a beautiful opportunity to our community. That evening it is true we did not have the animador that has been assigned to lead the celebrations but we had many young faithful followers of Christ that were present that evening. Many of them whom have been gathering  with us each Friday evening to learn how to pray the rosary.




  Rosary prayer team

         These young adults and youth have become our friends and we have become confident of each other as we gather each week.  After I consulted with God in prayer he gave me the confidence and the courage to part out the responsibility of the celebration among the young adults and the youth that were present and we were able to have a beautiful celebration that evening with the help of the youth whom just needed a bit of encouragement to help.  To watch them take responsibility of the celebration was a glorious sight. Perhaps for many it was their 1st time they had made such a leap of faith. And I would have to say a very big possibility that it was most of their 1st times serving God in such a way. 
         During our training  at Family missions company we heard often that what ever we expected or thought our mission would look like it will not even come close to it. I can diffidently say this is true.  What I thought our mission would look like here in 



Gabriel leading a decade of the rosary

Peru is very different in the fact that I am constantly reminded that I cannot rely on my wisdom and human nature. I must rely on something much greater.  For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.”  You see its my human nature that gets in the way and always has. If perhaps I could recall the words St Paul wrote to the Corinthians warning them of the stumbling blocks they have. (mine is my human nature and my unbelief that I of all people could be helpful to Gods people in Peru.)
        
God chose to use the most foolish thing imaginable in the first century, the Cross, to save those who are perishing. God has always used the unexpected person to achieve his goals so that it is clear He has done it, not human wisdom or skills (David as the youngest son, defeats Goliath, etc.)  What God did through Jesus is to turn the world “upside down,” an idea Paul returns to throughout his letter.
.
 The second reading spoke so profoundly to me making me realize that each and every day we must beg for the Lord to purify us. To beg for the courage to not rely on our human nature but only in the power of God to guide us. Much like David in the battle of Goliath or Noah building the Arc or Mary accepting the message from God through the angel Gabriel. All which required an intimate relationship with God, Trust and faith. During our time hear and during this important lenten season we must purify ourselves , trust in God enough to say yes even without signs or wisdom but because we know God has already given us many signs and imaginable things so that we might be wise enough to follow him to the ends of the earth.  To trust in him enough to accept the fact that perhaps it is our foolish belief and love of Christ that impels us to walk through the rain to gather with the few faithful followers to hear Gods word spoken. To accept the fact that  he is using us in a very humbling way so that it could change the hearts of those who see our undying love. Could God have sent us here to turn the world upside down for the sake of his kingdom. To have the courage discipline and strength to be foolish enough to walk 20 mins one way in the rain to help save his people?

Even though I find it tough at times to be strong enough on other occasions Im amazed at his mighty work he performs each day. One that is very hard to believe that where we serve the church has not ever had an Ash Wednesday Mass. But that this year that they were able to receive ashes because Father Francisco allowed my family to gather palms leafs, burn them bless them and distribute them among those whom came to the church. Although we were unable to celebrate Mass God allowed us to at least have a chance to recall and acknowledge that we are sinners and to repent and believe in the gospel. It was a humble way to start this years Lenten season.


Burning Palms for Ash Wednesday


Beautiful new church that will be inaugurated soon in one of our pueblos called Nuevo Codo








Gabriel serving with Father Fransico in Picota during Saturday evening Mass.






 A short cut from Nuevo Codo Celebration to Chinca Alta. (it's not to short but its much better than walking through the rice fields with the mosquitos )





The youths short cut to the next town. Through the rice fields it was fun once but not the preferred path. I can now say I have walked on the banks of rice fields. 








Julianna enjoying Father Fransico's Bird. He is a very demanding little thing. And much more enjoyable than Pipo Father Paco’s Monkey 



Our wonderful Neighbors, Trecero and Juanita.  We share fruit with them and than they send fruit to us. It's a never ending cycle of giving between us. But they always seem to give way more to us than we do to them.  





Please know that each and everyone of you are in our daily prayers. 
Please send us your prayer request. We ask that you continue to pray for us, we cannot continue our work here without your constance prayers. 

Please feel free to share our families newsletter among your friends and family. To all of you whom have made financial sacrifices to help support our mission here in Peru thank you. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed. 


May we find joy in Jesus forever!
Karen, Julianna, Gabriel 
Del Castillo

Email Address
Karendelcastillo@familymissionscompany


No comments:

Post a Comment